MRI CPT Codes
MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) is used in radiology to find out any abnormalities inside the organ. It is a three dimensional scan using magnetic and radio waves to study any parts of the body including head or brain. MRI can detect few diseases (eg: prostate cancer, uterine cancer) which CT can not detect. A contrast or dye is used in MRI sometimes to improve the diagnostic accuracy.
MRI CPT Codes
MRI CPT Codes can be found in Radiology section of CPT book. All sets of codes are arranged based on the use of contrast material. Knowing anatomy and physiology will help in coding more accurate CPT and related ICD codes while coding for MRI.
Brain and head
|70551||Without contrast material|
|70552||With contrast material|
|70553||With and without contrast material|
|70554||Functional MRI of brain not requiring physician or psychologist|
|70555||Functional MRI of brain requiring physician or psychologist|
|70557||MRI Brain during open surgery on brain : without contrast material|
|70558||: with contrast material|
|70559||: with and without contrast material|
|73221||Joint : without contrast material|
|73222||: with contrast material|
|73223||: with and without contrast material|
|73218||Non – joint: without contrast material|
|73219||: with contrast material|
|73220||: with and without contrast material|
|73721||Joint : without contrast material|
|73722||: with contrast material|
|73723||: with and without contrast material|
|73718||Non- joint: without contrast material|
|73719||: with contrast material|
|73720||: with and without contrast material|
Face and Neck
|70336||MRI of TMJ joint|
|70540||MRI Face (orbit), neck : without contrast material|
|70542||: with contrast material|
|70543||: with and without contrast material|
|74181||Without contrast material|
|74182||With contrast material|
|74183||With and without contrast material|
Chest and Cardiac
|71550||Chest : Without contrast material|
|71551||With contrast material|
|71552||With and without contrast material|
|75565||Cardiac imaging : for velocity flow mapping|
|75557||: for morphology without contrast material|
|75559||: for morphology without contrast material, with stress imaging|
|75561||: for morphology with and without contrast material|
|75563||: for morphology with and without contrast material, with stress imaging|
|72195||Without contrast material|
|72196||With contrast material|
|72197||With and without contrast material|
|72141||Without contrast material|
|72142||With contrast material|
|72156||With and without contrast material|
|72148||Without contrast material|
|72149||With contrast material|
|72158||With and without contrast material|
|72146||Without contrast material|
|72147||With contrast material|
|72157||With and without contrast material|
|77046||Without contrast material, unilateral|
|77047||Without contrast material, bilateral|
|77048||With and without contrast material, unilateral|
|77049||With and without contrast material, bilateral|
|77084||MRI of bone marrow blood supply|
|74712||Single or first gestation|
|74713||Each additional gestation|
- Type of contrast material – When there is oral or rectal contrast used, it should be coded as “without contrast”. Only IV contrast is coded as “with contrast” as radiology services include both oral and rectal contrast.
- CPT codes with and without contrast – Images taken without contrast followed by with contrast.
- Do not use modifier 50 for bilateral services. Report in one line with 2 units or in two lines with modifier RT/LT
- When provider orders for ankle study but radiologist does an expansion study to foot, it should be coded as joint (73721-73723). In the same scenario if there is setup for both study, code both joint and non-joint codes (73718-73720).
- CPT 74713 is to be used for additional fetus as add on code with 74712. Use units with 74713 if the number of fetus is more than 2. Check MUE (medically unlikely edits) when applying units.
- Apply NCD/LCD guidelines when coding ICDs with MRI codes.
- Check applicable modifiers with each CPT.
MRI Coding Tips:
- Check for the anatomical site of MRI before reviewing other details in the report.
- Read carefully to find out if any discrepancies in contrast material
- Do not miss to check the number of fetus when coding CPT 74712.
- Number of units allowed should be checked when coding CPTs with units.
- It is easy to find the correct code if the report is read thoroughly.
MRI CPT Codes Example:
59 year old Elizabeth is referred by Dr.Janet for MRI abdomen.
Type of Exam – MRI Abdomen with intravenous and oral contrast
Clinical History – 36 year old female with breast cancer undergoing chemotherapy, here with new onset of abdominal pain suspects cancer.
Technique – 1.5 T MR images of entire abdomen was observed after IV contrast and oral contrast.
Findings – Stomach: – No mass or abnormality found. Bowel:-No wall thickening or dilation. Liver:-Normal size. Gall Bladder: – within normal limits. Pancreas: – No ductal dilation or mass found. Spleen:-No splenomegaly. Bladder: – within normal limits. Kidney: – No mass found.
Impression – No abnormal findings on MRI to account for abdominal pain or probable cancer.
CPT coding for this scenario:
74182 – R10.9
Note: As there is IV contrast used the CPT code can be used “with contrast”.