Anxiety ICD 10
In this topic will learn about anxiety disorder, classification, Anxiety ICD 10 Codes along with descriptions and examples.
What is an anxiety disorder?
While anxiety is a normal human emotion, an anxiety disorder is a psychiatric disorder characterized by regular or frequent feelings of restlessness, worry, tension, rapid heartbeat or phobias which can cause disruption in the everyday life of the individual. This is a very common emotional disorder affecting all age groups. Studies suggest that women are likely to be diagnosed with anxiety disorders more than men.
Classification of Anxiety disorders and the respective Anxiety ICD 10 CM codes
Unspecified anxiety disorder is coded using the ICD-10-CM code F41.9.
- Anxiety depression (F41.8) – Feeling of anxiety along with feeling low, sad and depressed. The same ICD-10-code F41.8 is applicable to anxiety hysterias and mixed anxiety and depressive disorders.
- Episodic paroxysmal anxiety (F41.0) – Also known as panic disorder/panic attack/ panic state. In this type of disorder an individual goes through recurrent, acute and intense anxiety that can last for minutes. The person undergoing a panic attack will feel sensations of dizziness, choking, rapid heartbeats sometimes accompanied with chest discomfort and pain.
- Generalized anxiety (F41.1) – This is characterized by irritability, excessive anxiety and worry, impaired concentration, fatigue, restlessness and sleeping difficulty.
- Hysteria (F41.8)- Excessive, uncontrollable or exaggerated emotion or excitement.
- Neurosis (F41.1) – Mild form of mental illness irrational in nature, not caused by organic disease.
- Separation anxiety (F93.0) – Excessive anxiety experienced by an individual regarding separation from home or from loved ones.
- Other forms of Mixed anxiety disorder is coded with the code F41.3.
8. Phobia – A type of anxiety disorder characterized by irrational fear, rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, trembling and a strong desire to get away.
Anxiety ICD 10 Coding Example 1:
Greg, a 22-year-old male came to the hospital after a panic attack because he was locked in a room by his friends. The doctor diagnosed him with claustrophobia. Assign the appropriate code for the diagnosis.
Anxiety associated with other mental disorders.
1. Alcohol abuse with alcohol-induced anxiety disorder – Change in neurotransmitter levels in the brain due to influence of alcohol can cause anxiety that can last for several hours.
Anxiety ICD 10 Coding Example 2
This is a 40-year-old female who was seen around City mall, with complaints of chest tightness and shortness of breath. She was seen crying uncontrollably and was picked up by EMS and brought to the ED for assessment. Upon arrival the patient states that she drank one glass of Whiskey this morning. A comprehensive psychiatric evaluation was conducted during which, a detailed personal history of development, life events, emotions, behaviors, and stressful events were obtained. Two stressful events are that her husband left her for another woman and her mother became severely ill with Parkinson’s dementia. She became the caregiver for her mother while dealing with the separation from her husband.
Final diagnoses: Alcohol abuse, alcohol-induced anxiety disorder. What is the proper diagnosis coding for this scenario?
2. Adjustment disorder with anxiety – Anxiety and adjustment issues following a stressful life event usually accompanied by sadness and feeling of hopelessness.
Anxiety ICD 10 Coding example 3
This is a 30-year-old female visiting the Doctor’s office today with continued complaints of uncontrolled anxiety. She was recently diagnosed with adjustment disorder with anxiety due to death of her parents in an accident last year and being fired recently from her job. She has since noticed long periods of restlessness, feeling overwhelmed, and difficulty concentrating, with occasional chest pain and excessive sweating, which interferes with her daily life. A physical and psychological assessment was performed. Anti-anxiety medication was adjusted, and the patient was encouraged to continue psychotherapy sessions.
Final diagnosis: Adjustment disorder with anxiety. What is the proper diagnosis coding for this scenario?
3. Dream anxiety disorder- Night mares associated with feelings of anxiety and fear.
Anxiety ICD 10 Coding example 4
Mr. Peter is being treated by his physician for frequent nightmares for past 6 months. He was better but for the past few days again his condition worsened and is he is now too anxious. He is diagnosed with Dream anxiety disorder. What ICD-10-CM code(s) is/are assigned?
4. Anxiety disorder induced by drugs– Individuals develop anxiety disorders also as a result of long-term use of certain medications like corticosteroids, ADHD drugs, drugs containing caffeine, Asthma medications, Seizure drugs etc..
Anxiety ICD 10 Coding example 5
A patient is admitted with amphetamine dependence and has been diagnosed with stimulant induced anxiety disorder. Assign the correct ICD code for the diagnosis.